Geo Ministries, Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2011
St.Andrew's Church is famous as St. Anrew's Kirk, is situated on the Poonamallee High Road at Egmore, Chennai in Tamilnadu, India. The Church is one of the monuments, unique structures in the southern part of the country, which have received acclaims for their architectural grandeur and intricacy and this is also greatest Georgian architecture buildings in South India and Asia at large. Saint Andrew's Church in Chennai is sometimes called as 'The Queen of Scottish Churches in the East'. The Church was consecrated in 1821 for the Scottish community in Chennai, though the church foundation stone was laid by Doctor John Allen in 6th April 1818. East India Company led by Major Thomas Fort de Havilland and Colonel James Caldwell were responsible for the construction of the Church. The church construction plan was borrowed from an existing structure called St.Martin’s-in-the-Fields, London. It is of the Scottish Presbyterian tradition and continues to belong to it. Its form of worship and system of governance continue to be truly Presbyterian. However, it is free to follow and does include other orders of service used by any other Church with which it is doctrinally like-minded.
It is one of the aesthetically rare neo-classical churches in the country. The church interiors have been magnificently done with rich mahogany wood work. The floor of the church designed with chequer-board pattern of marble exuding of grandeur. The dome of St.Andrew's Church in Chennai with a diameter of 52 feet and painted with the blue shaded lapis lazuli, is worth watching and is supported by 16 Corinthian circular pillars. About 150 wells were dug to lay the foundation of St. Andrew's Church in Chennai and the walls of the church were attracted by the decoration. One of the inner halls has a bell, the church tower is visible in the front and various charitable and community projects are undertaken by St.Andrew's Church in Chennai.
Saint Andres’s Church in Chennai is presently under the Church of South India, Chennai Diocese (CSI). It is one of the most beautiful church in India and one of the most ancient. It is 185 years old, this year and its steeple soars 166 feet into the sky. It is in celebration to this tall steeple that our monthly magazine is called ' Kirkspire'. The vision of the church is "to be a congregation of obedient disciples of the lord and savior Jesus Christ".