People who sacrificed their lives to God

St.Paul’s Church Diu India

Posted on
The St.Paul’s Church, is situated in Diu Island, on the West Coast of India. It is located within the Diu Fort, which came under the control of the Portuguese colonists in early 16th century. The St. Paul’s Church, named after St. Paul, the Apostle of Jesus also known as the Apostle to the Gentiles is the most prominent, surviving and functioning church, among the three churches built by the Portuguese in Diu. It is considered one of the best examples of baroque architecture in India during the 1601 AD, it was built in the style of a similar basilica church namely, the Bom Jesus Basilica at Goa; its construction was completed in 1610 AD.

The Church, built in the Baroque architectural style, exhibits strong similarity but with better workmanship and design than the Bom Jesus Basilica at Goa built in 1605 AD, which was also built by the Portuguese during their colonial rule of the territory. The interior of the church is decorated with intricately carved wood work that is considered one of the most elaborate in any Portuguese church in India. The altar has the statue of St.Mary. Its interior has elaborate and impressive design with delicate volutes and shell. The front elevation or facade of the church is also said to be the most detailed of all Portuguese churches built in India. The altar, which has the image of St. Mary, is carved out of a single piece of Burmese teak and is lined and lit up with 101 candles. Above the altar, there is a “blue-and–white barrel - vaulted nave adorned with priceless old paintings and statues.

St. Paul’s Church, Diu Fort

The Church is stated to be an innovative design of Jesuit architecture, typical to India. The unique aspect is the facade, which has intricate decoration vis-a-vis its plain walls. Though the frontal elevation of the church is a replica of the Bom Jesus Basilica, but it dispenses with an additional third storey and also the compartments created by the buttresses, as seen in the Bon Jesus. It has extravagant carved decorations in white stucco, mainly attributed to the craftsmanship of the Indian artisans, which is typical of most churches in Goa. It is inferred that the Indian silversmiths known for their exquisite workmanship have influenced the decor in the facade. This has been attributed to a fact that the Jesuits in India could not find native artists who could recreate the original Jesuit architectural designs. Hence, the religious images made in ivory and the objects made in silver have strong local flavour.

Front view of St. Paul’s Church, Diu Fort

St. Paul’s Church, Diu Fort

It is said that music began to be used in churches in India even though it was not an accepted practice among the Jesuits who came to India. In Goa churches, which included churches in Diu, “lavish singing with many voices and sung masses were part of the elaborate ceremonies and processions that the Jesuits staged there. The two ceremonies that are held at the Diu church are the Feast of the Eleven Thousand Virgins to mark the commencement of the school year and the other is on 25 January to mark the conversion of St. Paul, which were largely attended when Portuguese ruled the area and also now. It is the largest and the only functioning church in Diu catering to the small Christian community of about 450 Christians who remain after the Diu territory merged with the Indian Union when it was freed from Portuguese colonial rule on December 11, 1961.

View of the Altar

The church is easily accessible from the main land from the Portuguese village of Ghoghla in the East or from Veraval or Somnath in the West. It is well connected by roads with rest of the country. There are no railway lines within Diu but the nearest railway station is on the metre gauge line at Delvada 80 kilometers (50 mile) from the fort. An airport at Diu provides regular air link to Mumbai. The church is located 256 kilometers (159 mile) North West of Mumbai by road. Diu is approachable from Una, which is 10 kilometers (6.2 mile) from the Gujarat border. The road distances to other places in Gujarat are: 150 kilometers (93 mile) to Sasangir and 220 kilometers (140 mile) to Bhavnagar.

The Altar

The Altar

The church adorned with curiously treated volutes and shell - like motifs and the magnificent wood carving is considered to be the most elaborate of all the Portugese churches in India. St.Paul Church, built in 1691 is consecrated to our Lady of Immaculate Conception. In architectural style it resembles Bom Jesus Church at Goa. The wood - paneling of the church is rated one of the best in church craftsmanship.

The Pulpit

The Pulpit

Mother Mary

Oil Painting inside the Church

Oil Painting inside the Church

St. Paul’s Church, Diu Fort

The old churches of Goa are under UNESCO World heritage list. More at www.thisismyheaven.com

Charles Mead

Posted on
Rev.Charles Mead was the Father of the South Travancore Mission, born on 1st October 1792 at Bristol, Gloucester, England. He was brought up by his uncle Rev.John Hunt at Wakefield, Yorkshire, attended Gosport Missionary School and ordained at Chichester on 6th March 1816. According to the London Mission Society’s report, Rev.Charles Mead was nominated for Travancore as Rev.Ringeltaube’s successor. He married Rev.Hunt’s daughter. He left from England on 20th April, 1816 for Travancore and arrived at Madras on 28th August 1816 along with Rev.Richard Knill, who known as the pastor of the church at St Petersburg. He was received by Rev.Loveless, who was the first England missionary of Madras. Rev.Mead was detained a considerable time at Rev.Loveless’s house at Madras by his wife's ill-health and he studied Tamil. There after he gave early intimation of his arrival to Col.Munro and consulted him on various subjects related to the mission affairs and solicited help. After one year back, he left for Travancore from Madras on 9 September 1817 along with his wife and arrived at Colachel on 17 January 1818. During his journey, the ship was stabled at Prince of Wales Island where his wife was died by leaving her baby due to her prolonged ill-health.

Rev.Charles Mead, the successor of the first missionary was heartily welcomed at Colachel by Vedamanickam who was holding charge of the mission work when Ringeltaube absence. Rev.Mead was quite pleased at seeing them than he had expected. The extreme pleasure which this first meeting gave him and the solicitude the people showed him had made such a lasting impression on his mind that he often referred to it during his life. On reaching Mylaudy to which peace, he was escorted by the Christians and found that though the mission had been left vacant for foreign missionary about two years, Vedamanickam had carried on the work with diligence and success, and that the people had remained faithful to their vacation. Here he lived in the hut of Rev.Ringeltaube’s for a short time and after getting all information about the Christians and the mission property from Vedamanickam, he lost no time in reporting his arrival to the British Resident Col.Munro and shortly afterwards went personally to pay his respects to him Col.Munro who was a great promoter of missions in Travancore. Before the departure of Rev.Mead from Madras, Col.Munro issued instruction to the Sircar officers of the South to repair the small mission house at Mylaudy in consultation with Vedamanickam and suggested certain alterations. The Mylaudy Mission house was got ready for Rev.Mead’s occupation before the time he set out from Madras, Col.Munro was not aware of the sad calamity which had striked Rev.Mead during the voyage. Thus at last with his child John Hunt, who had now the father only one solace and delight particularly during affliction and he arrived after his tragic journey.

Nagercoil Home Church
After the arrival of Rev.Mead, the missionary who succeeded Rev.Ringeltaube was the Master Builder who developed the infant mission and shaped it to an extensive organization. He was the father of the South Travancore Mission and principal agent in the formation of all stations from Kanyakumari in the South to Quilon, in the North. He had a keen and alert mind, was as full of physical energy as he was of courage. He very early saw the need of Mylady and when Colonel Munro offered him for his occupation his own circuit bungalow at Nagercoil, Rev.Mead gratefully accepted, made his headquarters there and received as a grant also from the Range of that time the pieces of land around the mission bungalow on which the Church, the Press and the Scott Christian College, now it is the no.1 college in Nagercoil. As early April 1818, Mead has been appointed to the office of Christian judge at that town by Travancore Rani (Queen). In this year, the Range of Travancore gave a donation of Rs.5000 to the mission, which he added to the lands and put aside a portion towards the erection of the Nagercoil Church. It was during the first year of Rev.Mead's service that great numbers of people (Nadars) were added to the church, as many as three thousand in one year.
Rev.Charles Mead shifted the Mission Centre of Rev.Ringeltaube’s from Mylaudy to Nagercoil in 1818. For the further development of the mission, the entire mission area was divided into six mission stations of Nagercoil, Neyyoor, Parassala, Trivandrum, Attingal and Quilon. He received donation from Maharaja of Cochin, who was heathen and other members of the royal family offered for construction of a church at Nagercoil. In 1818, enormous sum had been spent to Travancore from the generous contributors of the people in England. In 1818 itself, about 3000 people embraced the Christian religion. On 29 September, 1818, he was joined by Rev.Richard Knill, another missionary of the LMS who came to Travancore to recover his health, which had failed in Madras. During Knill’s short stay, he seems to have entered heartily into Rev.Mead's plans of work and to have greatly cheered and helped him. The foundation stone of the Home Church at Nagercoil was laid on the New Year Day of 1819 by Rev.Richard Knill and suggested, assisted at the building of the church at Tittuvilai. He married daughter of Rev.Horst, the Tanjore Missionary, resulted in the transfer to Nagercoil of a number of trained catechists from the Danish mission. At the same time and from the same place also, Mr.George Harvey Ashton joined Rev.Mead as his assistant. Rev.John Smith and Rev.Charles Mault, the LMS missionaries were joined in later 1819.

Neyyoor Home Church

Rev.Mead also commenced the building in 1818 and era long the strong and spacious granary was finished with the cellar and downstairs to store up for food grains and the upstairs to be used as dwelling houses for the missionary as well as travellers bungalow for European visitors. The Granary was planned to hold 1500 cottahs of paddy, Rev.Mead was induced the granary at Mylaudy instead of at Thamaraikulam. The superintendent of the granary was chosen from Vedamanickam’s family in recognition of the eminent service rendered by that family to the mission. Thus the charge of the granary continued in the family for over 50 years. The superintendent was always a respectable and influential catechist and he had with him one inner and one outer key of the each door and his clerk who was always a Hindu caste man had the other set of the inner and outer keys of each door so that the doors could not be opened by either of them without the other. It is hoped that these arrangements were preserved in the management of the granary at Mylaudy and that great care and attention are shown to ascertain whether the exact quantity of paddy is always secured.

Mission Hospital
In October 1819 Rev.Mead commenced the mission seminary at Nagercoil. His plans for this seminary were of the same ambitious order as characterized his church building ideas. English and Sanskrit as well as the two vernaculars were taught, and several European youths, sons of factors in the neighborhood, were among the first students. Rev.Mead had for his assistant Mr.M'Ally as well as Mr.Ashton, and a number of native teachers from Tanjore. Of this, the first English educational institution in Travancore, Rev.Mead spoke these prophetic words "This will give rise, we hope, in time to a mission college for the south of India, on the liberal principles of the London Missionary Society."

Neyyoor Church
He opened an English Medium School at Nagercoil (1820) and also first Girls school with Boarding facility of Travancore at Nagercoil was established in 1819 by Mrs.Johanna, wife of Rev.Charles Mead. In the following year, 1820, Rev.Mead, on a visit to Tanjore, obtained a printing press, which he set up in his own house at Nagercoil, securing at the same time a trained native printer from Tranquebar. This was the first printing press ever introduced into Travancore, preceding the Kottayam press by about a year. It is interesting to notice that the paper sent from England for this press, being presented by charitable persons, was admitted to the country by the Travancore Government free of duty.

Rev.Charles Mead also continued his effort the school at Mylaudy shifted to Nagercoil as he believed the English Medium School at Nagercoil could one day become a college, which materialized in 1893. In 1820 the first public school for Hindus was opened for the Hindus, especially Nadars at Nagercoil. The Neyyoor Girls Boarding school was established in 1828 under the Neyyoor Mission which was situated in an ancient Nadar area. Rev.Mead started the first School of Industry (technical) in 1820 at Nagercoil this school provided technical education and trades such as printing, bookbinding, tanning, curing of leather etc. In 1820, the mission has planned to start a branch of the mission at Quilon under John Smith. During his tenure numerous schools and Churches were established and by 1827 there were forty four schools in Travancore.

Devicode Church

In 1828, the head quarter of the Nagercoil divided into two District of Nagercoil and Neyyoor District. The Neyyoor Mission station was established and Rev.Charles Mead took the charge of the new station. The discharge of the duties connected with this high office had conferred on the local people many benefits and made an impression throughout the country which was highly favorable to the success of missionary work. In 1828, Rev.Mead and Rev.Pelis Lyer were came to Devicode and made people know about Lord Jesus. The Neyyoor district has Arapurai, Ammaidivilai, Attoor, Ammsi, Colachel, Kaliakavilai, Killiyour, Devicode, Eathavilai, Kodupaikuzhi, Kunnamcade, Kannanoor, Kothanavilai, Peyankuzhi, Pulipanam, Marudoorkurichi, Nadutheri, Kanchrapuram, Kuntrathur, Kizkulam, Mandaicadu, Mathicode, Manalicadu, Senamvilai, Vadakankarai, Palliyadi, Neyyoor, etc.

Statue of Rev.Charles Mead
In 1836, he took his first leave to England and returned back in 1838 with five more missionaries. In 1838, his 2nd wife died. In 1839, his daughter, Ann Mead married Rev.Augustus Caemmerer, the SPG missionary at Nazareth. His 3rd wife, Mrs.Mead died on 6 February 1848 at the age of 45 years. In 1852, he married Lois Biddulph, the daughter of Devaram, the Indian Christian poet and his chief assistant.

In 1853, Rev.Mead left the mission, because of the difference of opinion among the missionaries with regard to his marriage with low caste women who was a grant daughter of the first convert and the real founder of the protestant Christianity in Travacore, Maharasan Vedamanickam. Then he gave over the charge of the out station congregations of Parassala and Santhapuram. Later he went to Tiruvanandapuram. In 1855, in recognition of his contributions to the cause of education, the Travancore Government appointed him Superintendent of Schools, and while in this office he encouraged women's education in Nagercoil and in the state of Travancore. He started the Nagercoil Mission Press, the first printing press in the state of Travancore. He fought to abolish forms of indentured labour rampant at that time. He also served for the betterment of the down - trodden for more than half a century. By 1824, Nagercoil had around 48 schools in entire South Travancore. During his period, people under his fold multiplied in thousands year after year and the mission centres expanded from Quilon to Cape Comorin. He brought more missionaries during this period from homeland and expanded the humanitarian outreach through educational, medical and technical services. Mead established mission centres in most of the important places. In those centres he also built churches and schools. He died on 19 January 1873 at the age of 80 years at Tiruvanandapuram.

Samuel Dyer

Posted on
Samuel Dyer, a British Protestant Christian Missionary to China, was born on 20th February 1804 at Greenwich, London in England to John Dyer and Eliza (Seager). He was the fourth son of his parents. His father was a Secretary of the Royal Hospital for Seaman and later became Chief clerk of the Admiralty in 1820. John Dyer was also an acquaintance of Robert Morrison, who was the first Protestant missionary to China, a connection that would have enormous implications in the life of his son, Samuel Dyer. Robert Morrison and his Chinese tutor Yong Sam-tek visited the Dyer’s home in Greenwich during Morrison’s period of study in medicine and astronomy.

Samuel Dyer was obtained early education from home town and then educated in a boarding school at Woolwich, in South East London, superintended by the Rev.John Bickerdike, a pastor with the English Dissenters. In 1820, he experienced a conversion to Christ at Thomas Wilson's Paddington Chapel in Paddington, Northwest London, under ministry of the Rev.James Stratten and soon Samuel Dyer began teaching Sunday school there. In 1822, he was formally admitted into membership.

Maria Tarn
He studied law and mathematics at Trinity Hall, University of Cambridge, but in 1823, in his fifth term, he terminated his studies to heed the call to missions, despite the prospect of a scholarship in view. Prior to this, he read a pamphlet, deeply impressed by the pamphlet titled ‘’Memoir of Mrs.Charles Mead of the London Missionary Society in Tranvancore, (now Kaniyakumari in Tamilnadu,) India’’, which afterwards turned his thoughts to missionary service that would occupy the rest of his life. The pamphlet consisted of sermon preached at Mrs.Mead’s funeral, ‘’All for Christ and the Good of Souls’’, “and they loved not their lives unto the death.”

Samuel Dyer had an opportunity to study the Chinese under Robert Morrison, who had returned on vacation from China. Then he met two aspiring female missionaries, Mary Ann Aldersey, the first female missionary to China and Maria Tarn, whom Dyer later married. In 1824, with his father’s approval, Samuel Dyer applied to the London Missionary Society and joined the LMS seminary at Gosport, Hampshire to study theology under Dr.David Bogue. His health began to suffer because of his intense regimen of study at Gosport, walking long distances to preach in villages on Sunday and his habits of self-denial. He travelled to Islington to recuperate, study theology, Chinese and the art of printing, punch cutting and type-founding. He also studied printing work under Dr.Henderson.


Samuel Dyer entered the London Missionary Society training center at Hoxton where his chief attention was given to the Chinese language, reading the Chinese Bible for devotions. At the age of 23 years, Samuel Dyer was ordained on 20th February 1827 as a missionary by Rev.Stratten at Paddington Chapel, London where he preached, taught. He married to Maria Tarn, eldest daughter of Joseph Tarn, one of the Directors of London Missionary Society, in London on 6th March 1827. They had five children, Maria Dyer, Samuel Dyer Jr, Burella Hunter Dyer, Maria Jane Dyer and Ebenezer Dyer. The newlywed couple, Samuel Dyer and Maria Tarn left England on 10th March 1827 and arrived at Penang, in the Straits of Malaysia (Malacca) on 8th August 1827. They were to have gone on to Anglo-Chinese College in Malacca, but a lack of workers lead them to stay in Penang and settle in Chinese sector of town. They both began studying the Min Nan Dialect (Hokkien) spoken by the local people of China. After gaining some knowledge of the language, Samuel Dyer faced the challenge of producing movable metallic types for the thousands of Chinese characters. He started with a systematic analysis of characters and strokes. His linguistic abilities, meticulous planning and painstaking attention to detail resulted in Chinese fonts of high quality. They were later passed on to the American Presbyterian Mission Press in China and played a significant part in its development.


In 1831, Samuel Dyer visited Malacca, the headquarters of the London Missionary Society’s Chinese ministries. In 1833, about this same time some in the Chinese community requested a school. During this period, Samuel Dyer was hard at work on a revision of the translation of Matthew’s Gospel in Chinese. The amount of work that still was left to be done prompted him to write to England in the following year, appealing for more workers to be sent out. He then took his family to Malacca to join the London Missionary Society China Mission headquarters. The Dyers established 2 schools with the curriculum including reading, writing, sewing and embroidery. There Samuel Dyer worked with Liang Fa, who had been baptized by William Milne in 1819. Samuel Dyer soon recognized the strategic importance of his metal-type printing and proceeded with the revision of the Chinese Bible at Malacca.

Paddington Chapel


Tombstone in Maeao
On 19th September 1839, Samuel Dyer family arrived in England. Maria, his wife was ill health with a liver problem. Dyers remained in England until 1841 when they left again for the Ultra-Ganges Mission, this time to Singapore. A single woman named Buckland accompanied them and helped Maria with the three children. They arrived in Singapore in 1842 and rented the mission-house of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. Maria established a Chinese Girls’ Boarding School with 20 students in their home, the school later became called St.Margaret's Primary School. Samuel Dyer moved the LMS press from Malacca to Singapore on James Legge’s suggestion before the end of 1842. The Treaty of Nanking was signed, raising hopes that missionary work could soon begin in mainland China. Samuel Dyer preached the first sermon at the Malay Chapel in Prinsep Street opened by Benjamin Peach Keasberry in 1843. That summer he left with John Stronach for the LMS conference in Hong Kong. His family would never see him again. He began work with John Stronach of the LMS and learning (Chaozhou) Teochew dialect. He also worked on a revision of the Chinese Bible, translations, preparation of books, type-casting, printing and compiled a comparative vocabulary of Chinese language.

Epitaph at Maria Bausum's tomb in the Protestant Cemetery in Penang

Remembrance of Samuel Dyer
Samuel Dyer printed ‘’Two Friends’’ by William Milne, a ‘’Commentary on 10 Commandments’’ by Walter Henry Medhurst, and the ‘’Miracles of Christ’’. He also helped Chaozhou, a Christian teacher compile the ‘’Life of Christ’’. During this busy period, Samuel Dyer conducted religious services through the week, visited house-to-house, preached in the bazaars; and visited Chinese junk (ship)s in the harbor to reach the Chinese there with the gospel message. Samuel Dyer was able to finally reach China on 7th August 1843 at Hongkong. At the LMS general conference he was appointed as Conference Secretary. The Dyers were appointed to go to Fuzhou, Fujian to open missionary work there. Samuel Dyer visited Guangzhou, in the Southern China where he had a severe attack of fever and was cared for by Peter Parker, M.D. He was taken to Macau and died in there on 24th October 1843 before being able to live in China itself at his newly assigned designation of Fuzhou. This was the same outbreak that took the life of Robert Morrison's son, John Robert Morrison at Guangzhou. Samuel Dyer was buried next to the graves of Robert and Mary Morrison at the Old Protestant Cemetery in Macau.

Maria Dyer Taylor

Armenian Church

Posted on
The Armenian Church, Chennai was initially constructed on 1712 near Fort St.George, and it was destroyed in the French Siege in 1746. The Church was completely rebuilt again on 1772, on the site of the Armenian cemetery. That is a marvel of architectural beauty and this is one of the credited monuments in Tamil Nadu and among oldest churches existing in India. It has a magnificent bell tower having 6 bells, claimed to be the largest in Chennai.

The Church is located on the Armenian Street, Chennai, Tamilnadu, in South India. Armenians are believed to be establishing first trade links with India during the 16th century A.D and the Armenian merchants for the same purpose landed in the city, and got settled there. They soon began building houses and it is during the same era that a church was constructed that continues to occupy the ground till date. The church is also famous as the Armenian Church of Virgin Mary.

The Church complex consists of a small chapel and belfry tower. The belfry tower makes up the key attraction of the place; six bells are installed in the tower. The bells are believed to be the largest and heaviest in the city churches, each weighing about 200 kgs. The bells belong to different eras, and were casted at different points of time and different sizes varying from 21 to 26 inches. The inscription on the oldest existing, one reveals the year to be 1754. One other bell indicates that it dates back to 1778. Inscriptions on two bells indicate that they were gifted in memory of 19 year to the Church by an Armenian merchant named Eliazar Shawmier, who buried in the Church’s garden. Eliazer Shawmier was the youngest son of a leading Armenian merchant of the city of Madras, now Chennai on whose private chapel ground the present Church stands. The remaining two bells belong to the year 1837 and were cast in England and shipped exclusively for this church by the White Chapel Bell Foundry, then known as Mears & Stainbank, with inscriptions reading "Thomas Mears, Founder, London".

Virgin Mary
The Church is well maintained even though it has hardly any visitor nowadays. The bells belong to 18th century and 19th century. The Church complex, in olden times had served as a mortuary and cemetery as well. This particular emblem on the tombstone has motifs of scissors, scale and balance; to signify "cut measure and weigh justly". Now the Church complex also has a small cemetery.

The functioning of church only as a heritage site, the Church is opened for visitors from 9 am till 2:30 pm. It is funded by the Armenian Apostolic Church and maintained by the Armenian Church Committee in Calcutta. The graves of about 350 Armenians have been laid out throughout the Church. The founder, publisher and editor of the world's first Armenian periodical "Azdarar", Rev.Haroutiun Shmavonian is buried here. The six large bells are rung every Sunday at 9:30 am by the caretaker. One of the oldest churches in Chennai, the Armenian Church at No: 116 Armenian Street remains a place of peace and tranquility in the midst of the cacophony of street vendors outside. Now it is a deserted place, with a few visitors, mostly foreign tourists. In 2012, the Church will complete 300 years, a celebration is planned to remember this event.

Bells Armenian Church

 Engrave on bell

Armenian Church

Shimovinans Grave

Altar Armenian Church

Armenian Church Interior

D G S Dhinakaran

Posted on
Dr.Duraisamy Geoffery Samuel Dhinakaran, was an Indian Evangelical Preacher and founder of the Jesus Calls Ministry, born on July 1, 1935 at Surandai in Tirunelveli District of Tamil Nadu, India. He attended St.John`s college, Palayamkottai and subsequently was awarded a Bachelor degree in Mathematics from Madras University in 1955. He had a very tough life being torn by the ailments of poverty and agony of unemployment. Unable to bear the agony of these problems, on February 11, 1955, Dr.D.G.S.Dhinakaran decided to put an end to his life. He started towards the nearest railway track in his village to throw himself before the speeding train when he was stopped by his uncle who introduced Jesus Christ. He experienced a sudden wave of divine peace and hope, flood his heart. His mind was transformed and he returned home enlightened. After this incident, things started happening in him supernaturally. There arose an unquenchable thirst in him to spend hours together poring over the life-transforming pages of eternal Truth - The Bible, discovering secrets that could revolutionize human life. He spent hours talking to God and sought Him with all his heart. In 1957, he joined and became an officer of the State Bank of India.

Dr.D.G.S.Dhinakaran's Family
            On October 9, 1962, he tarried at the feet of the Lord Jesus in prayer till midnight. He pleaded persistently. "Lord! Hear my prayer now and grant me Your power! Or else, slay me! I don't want to live as a powerless and phony Christian!" Next day dawned. On 10th October 1962! After an exacting day in the bank, he returned home at the night. Supper over, he joined the family prayers. He longed to have a glimpse of blessed vision of Jesus. The very next moment, a divine presence appeared in front of him! He was thrown into an ecstasy of joy. The Lord opened His eyes and with a radiant face, addressed him with a smile: "My beloved son! I am Christ! Because you have been seeking Me diligently, I have come seeking you Myself, to bless you". Yes! For three full hours he saw Lord Jesus face to face. The Lord gave His commission that has made his life a continual blessing to countless. "My son! People might have heard of My love, but they haven't tasted it. So, I pour My love and compassion in your heart! This love will console their broken hearts and heal their diseased bodies. You will be witness to the power of My Holy Spirit." With a glorious vision and words of assurance, God blessed Dr.Dhinakaran His servant profusely for persistently seeking Him.

Dr.D.G.S.Dhinakaran's Family
          Thus, the Jesus Calls Ministry came into being as a one-man ministry. he considered men and women from all over the world, irrespective of their caste, creed, race or language, as his own brothers and sisters. He considered their tears as his own and preached to them the love and compassion of Christ. He invoked the Lord's blessings and pleaded Him to perform miracles that will wipe away the tears of the multitudes. Apart from his job as a top executive in a bank, he devoted himself to God's ministry with utmost zeal. The power of Christ was manifest in his preaching and prayers. Jesus Calls Ministry spread far and wide. Today with God's grace, it has grown into a multi-faceted far-flung ministry, spreading the Good News to the world in 20 different ways. His wife Stella has stood with him in all his joys and sorrows and also extends her hand in the ministry of wiping tears of millions and building up broken homes. His son Paul has been working with him from the age of 18, when he received the call from the Lord.


            On October 10, 1962, Dr.D.G.S.Dhinakaran was anointed by the Holy Spirit. Since then, whenever he preaches and prays at public meetings, he displays a rare power of interpreting different languages and speaks the word of wisdom and knowledge. He also meets people personally and replies to letters sent to him by people who search for serenity and comfort in their lives. During the prayer time at public meetings, guided by the Holy Spirit within Him, he calls out the names of people who were in the crowd and exactly reveals their spiritual, mental, emotional and physical conditions. These people run to the dais and testify confirming what Dr.D.G.S.Dhinakaran said about their lives is true. In some meetings, he calls out a few people from the crowd and right before the huge crowd of over four hundred thousands and reveals their past, their present and foretells the future. People were amazed by the powerful acts of God. Hundreds of thousands of people write to him seeking solutions to problems that are beyond human comprehension. He was inspired by the Holy Spirit to send replies to all the letters he receives. Some problems were so critical that the lives of some people may depend on the answer that comes from above through him. On several occasions, His prayers have stopped a heavy downpour. Such was the power of his prayers that God answers it immediately. In the Jesus Calls office they have oceans of reports of people who have reported miracles that have transformed their lives. People born blind see, the lame who were carried to the meetings in stretchers were healed and they walk, people who were suffering from tumours and cancer were healed, physical ailments which have tortured people for more than a quarter century vanish in a trice!

Karunya University, Coimbatore

            On March 2, 1972, Dr.D.G.S.Dhinakaran delivered his first message from God to people over the FEBA Radio. In 1973, he went beyond the country to preach in Sri Lanka. Wherever Dr.Dhinakaran went, several thousands gathered in the fields and in the auditorium. In 1973, he started to touch the lives of the people through the written word. In May 1973, he released his first "Jesus Calls Magazine". Miracles started happening in people's lives through the written word. Besides magazines, Dr.D.G.S.Dhinakaran has written several books carrying the powerful messages of God. The book titled 'The Gifts Of Holy Spirit' which he wrote recently has become a bestseller and has set ablaze the spiritual life of millions.

            On 26.09.1977, the Lord Jesus appeared before him and commanded him to train up lay people like him to preach the Gospel. In obedience to this command, he started the 'Institute of Power Ministry' in Chennai in July 1980. Men and women from all parts of India and abroad hailing from different denominations undergo specialized training in practical Evangelism. In this training programme, the Lord anoints the trainees with His Holy Spirit, supernatural power and grace to carry the Good News of His love and compassion to the uttermost parts of the earth. Truly, these Evangelists now shine like stars in their churches as well as in the spiritual world. In the 1980s, he also started the video ministry by recording his powerful messages in video cassettes in Malaysia and today thousands of these cassettes were distributed all around the world carrying words of comfort, healing and deliverance to people. People have experienced healing from diseases, revelations and comfort from the Lord Jesus Christ through these cassettes.

Bethesda Prayer Centre 

            On August 12, 1983, the Holy Spirit guided him to do something for those who are in need for prayer at any time of the day. Therefore he erected a 24 Hour Prayer Tower at Chennai, Tamilnadu, India. Today the Prayer Tower is a full-fledged Prayer Centre equipped with modern facilities. Specially chosen and trained Prayer Warriors endowed with the compassion of Christ, attend to such calls round-the-clock. They are also established in various parts of the world. On July 25, 1985, at 4 O'clock in the morning, the Lord Jesus Christ once again appeared before Dr.D.G.S.Dhinakaran and revealed about the plan for the young who want to join as partners in the Jesus Calls Ministry. That was how the Young Partners Plan came into being. On October 10, 1993, he launched the Bethesda Prayer Centre that became the faith-building centre to thousands of people who visit the place to take a look at the seven Stations of the Cross built there. People are convicted in their hearts as they see these stations and they are reminded of the great loving sacrifice that Christ has done for them, and are moved to tears.

Prayer Tower
            The ministry of Dr.D.G.S.Dhinakaran took a great turn when he became active with the media. The Jesus Calls Ministry started to produce its own TV programmes in different private channels. On November 4, 1986, he inaugurated the Karunya Institute of Technology, a residential Engineering College with a strength of 2,800 students at Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, India. On May 21, 1986, a great tragedy struck this spiritual giant! That was his ultimate test of his faith. He lost his only daughter Angel Dhinakaran in a car accident on his way to the Karunya Institute of Technology, Coimbatore. He was shattered and forsaken. Even today, when he remembers her, he was filled with tears. Yet he did not give up. He recovered from the great shock and continues his ministry in wiping the tears of millions who are in need of Christ's love and compassion.


            He was a man after God’s own heart, who healed millions of broken hearted people around the world through his prayers. His prayers were so powerful because the anointing that was in him was awesome. He also had the spirit of compassion in him which moved him to pray with tears for the suffering humanity. This great man of God, who was raised from a lowly state to pinnacles of glory and honour because of his obedience and faithfulness to the Lord Jesus Christ, slept in Him on 20.02.2008. In his death, the world has lost not only an eminent evangelist but also a humble human being who did exploits for the furtherance of God's Kingdom on this earth. While the Lord Almighty was pleased to take him Home to be with Him, his end in this world is nothing but the End of an Era. He was also called the "Apostle of India" in recent times and have organized many Christian meetings, prayer gatherings, which has drawn crowds up to 500000 people in many cities and towns of India