Delhi Archbishop condemns new attacks on Christians in India
Delhi Archbishop Anil JT Couto has called for immediate action by the local police and civil authorities to stop what he called "hate campaigns" against Christians in North India and said it is a "grave assault on the fundamental rights of individuals and groups". He has expressed deep concern at the growing number of communal flare-ups in different parts of north India and attacks on Christians and Church properties in and around Delhi.
Archbishop Anil JT Couto
"Reports of other attacks on Christian pastors and prayer groups are very disturbing and we request the local authorities to take adequate measures to bring to book the miscreants who are threatening to weaken the social fabric of this great nation," the Archbishop said.
He was referring to an attack on a group of Pentecostal pastors in Sonepat district of the same state last year. The Archbishop also quoted media reports alleging that the Hindu nationalist organizations are collecting details of persons who converted to Islam and Christianity in western Uttar Pradesh and plan to reconvert them to Hinduism. “This move by fundamentalist groups is a grave assault on the fundamental rights of individuals and peoples’ groups,” Archbishop Couto said.
The archbishop of New Delhi has urged authorities to take more effective measures in combating religiously motivated violence in the wake of an attack on a Christian church in the North Indian State of Haryana. Vandals damaged two school buses parked in the compound of St. Francis Xavier Church in Rohtak district on Wednesday.
Finally, he called for immediate action by the local police and civil authorities to stop such "hate campaigns and maintain social peace and harmony".
More Missionaries News Updates Click Here!!!